Saturday, January 23, 2010

I regularly ride my bike to work. A great thing about Louisville is that drivers are mostly good with it. About once a month though, someone will pass me and express his dissatisfaction with my transportation choice (without exception it's always been a 'his'). Typically they go by and that's the end of. There is however one part of my ride where due to traffic volumes and the way the light is timed, that i'll repass a car that passes me at that part.

So, earlier this week I'm riding along and this guy drives by yelling foul words at me. A minute later I'm passing him. I couldn't let the opportunity pass. I stopped and lightly rapped on the window. A stream of profanity issued forth.

I'm thinking, "What do I say to this?" At the first break I said, "Are you a Christian?"

He replied, "What does that have to do with it?" I said, "Simple question, yes or no." He answered with another stream of profanity. As he rolled up his window I said, "I guess that answers my question." Now, I don't know know that he thought a second about what I said - it doesn't really matter.

What matters to me is that I was good throughout. No anger. Nothing. Just looking for an opportunity to help my fellow man.

No comments: